In 1881 this area had no name. The railroad came through and a station was built. There were three houses then which were occupied by John, Jim and George Trout so it was called Troutville. In 1895, Troutville was a thriving town with a very active shipping point, good farming, busy canneries, packing houses and factories.
Before the railroad came through, there was a stage coach route from Blue Ridge to Fincastle, that apparently closely followed what is now Mountain Pass Road. The stage stopped at a big spring at the Trout’s to get water, most likely north of the intersection where Mountain Pass meets Rt. 11. There was also a post office and a blacksmith shop here.
In 1924 Highway 11 was improved and re-routed. In 1951, Troutville was incorporated. For many decades, Troutville was a rapidly growing and prosperous community.
Today, Troutville is the perfect representation of “small-town America." Featuring its own town park, the area is also a well-known stopping point for hikers along the Appalachian Trail and is a nationally designated Appalachian Trail Community.
Botetourt Bicentennial Book
The Town of Troutville, VA: A History of the Early Years (Compiled by Mary Anne Rader Obenshain and Rosalie Hamilton Goad)